Minor bug-fix release for Collective-classification

Petr came across a bug that affected the output of the predictions generated from the test set. It worked fine for cross-validation, but not for the Random split and Unlabled/Test set modes. I’ve committed a fix and made a new release available:

Posted on February 27, 2015 at 1:10 pm by fracpete · Permalink · Leave a comment
Tagged with: , ,

IntelliJ IDEA vs Eclipse

I can’t remember for how long I have been an Eclipse user, but at least since the Callisto release some time in 2006. Back then I was deciding between NetBeans and Eclipse, with Eclipse winning, because it used less memory. Despite having used JBuilder in the past, I didn’t want to go back to using this platform.
Anyhow, in terms of IDE I felt a bit like a Windows user: being stuck with a piece of software that kind of does the trick but has these weird and unexplainable behaviors sometimes like:

And guess what, just like with Windows, rebooting usually fixes some of these problems. Worst bit, you simply accept it, because you are stuck with it.
Years ago, I tried IntelliJ IDEA, but it failed handling my multi-module Maven projects. Nothing left but to keep using Eclipse.

But then, two weeks ago, I made the switch to IntelliJ IDEA after all, after one of my students was able to work with the ADAMS code base without any problems. Took me a while getting things sorted out and configured, but after using it now for two weeks straight, it’s nice having not only a great editor that supports you writing code very efficiently, but also a solid and fast IDE! There are a few quirks, but none of them are dealbreakers!

So, to sum it up: I’m a happy IntelliJ IDEA user now! :-)

Posted on January 29, 2015 at 10:35 am by fracpete · Permalink · Leave a comment
Tagged with: 

Collective-classification: 2015.1.13 release

Just pushed out a new release of the collective-classification Weka package, incorporating feedback from the Weka mailing list.


The release is available from here:

Posted on January 13, 2015 at 12:13 pm by fracpete · Permalink · Leave a comment
Tagged with: , ,

Collective-classification moved to github

I used to be a big fan of Google’s Code platform, which had pretty much everything that a small project needed:

But then, Google changed their terms of service, disabling the release mechanism – mainly due to abuse. The workaround was to use Google Drive instead, which neither offered nice links nor download statistics.

With Google Drive constantly changing their interface, I was fed up last night with people not being able to figure out where and how to download an archive, so I decided to migrate the project to github.
I came across Iain’s excellent post on how to do this. There was only one minor snag: for some reason, hg-fast-export seems to delete files at the end, so I had to do a git checkout to restore the tree again before the actual git commit. Never had such a painless repository migration, I’ll have to say!

OK, so the new location for the collective-classification project is now as follows:

Posted on January 12, 2015 at 10:29 am by fracpete · Permalink · Leave a comment
Tagged with: ,

Collective-classification: 2015-01-09 release

Who would have thought? Looks like people are still using my old collective-classification project.
In order to make it a bit more useful in the Explorer, I made the following minor changes:

You can find the release here.

Posted on January 9, 2015 at 12:17 pm by fracpete · Permalink · Leave a comment
Tagged with: , , ,

python-weka-wrapper: instructions/videos for installing

Yesterday and yoday, I’ve updated the installation instructions for Ubuntu and Windows:

Furthermore, I’ve also created videos that show the installation for the following platforms (no sound, but annotated):

That should help especially the folks running Windows. :-)

Posted on January 8, 2015 at 1:27 pm by fracpete · Permalink · Leave a comment
Tagged with: ,

Follow-up release: python-weka-wrapper 0.2.2

Unfortunately, there was a typo in the CHANGES.rst file that screwed up the formatting completely. Hence I decided to make another release, which should see speed improvements in some often used methods.

Full change log here:

Posted on January 5, 2015 at 3:49 pm by fracpete · Permalink · Leave a comment
Tagged with: , , ,

python-weka-wrapper 0.2.1 released

With the unit testing framework finally in place (and fixing a number of bugs), I’ve made a new release available.

Here is the list of all the changes:

NB: I’ve flagged the library now as beta as well.

Posted on January 5, 2015 at 12:48 pm by fracpete · Permalink · Leave a comment
Tagged with: , , ,

ADAMS 0.4.7 released

Hot off the press, version 0.4.7 of ADAMS! Though, due to working off-campus, I can’t update the ADAMS website at the moment. So just go straight to the sourceforge download website!



Have fun and enjoy your Xmas break! :-)

Posted on December 24, 2014 at 2:59 pm by fracpete · Permalink · Leave a comment
Tagged with: , ,

Moving forward: python-weka-wrapper 0.2.0

Changes in this release:

NB: This release is not backwards compatible and will most likely break your code!

Posted on December 22, 2014 at 9:31 pm by fracpete · Permalink · Leave a comment
Tagged with: , , ,